Command-line sharing for Harmattan

I use IRC and I want to be able to share photos there easily. For n900 I had implemented a sharing plugin and that worked nicely. When I got the n950 I of course wanted to do the same with that but it turned out to be a difficult task.

I started to implement webupload and SSO plugins but I never got them to work. The biggest show stopper was lacking documentation for the SSO part. Finally Mika Suonpää pointed me to Share UI plugins and now, only a few days later, I have the first version of it working for n950 :)

For some reason I don’t get my icons visible, they are always shown as a red square. All hints about that are most welcome. As is testing and feedback of the plugin. The plugin settings are in Settings -> Applications -> Command-line Share, and from there you need to enable the plugin and set the command to be run. After that the sharing plugin is visible in the Gallery -> share.

The source code can be found here and the corresponding forum thread here.

5 thoughts on “Command-line sharing for Harmattan

• January 13, 2012 at 1:48 am

Nice one! Thanks for sharing :) About the icon: Did you try to use one of the built-in icons (e.g. the Bluetooth icon)? Does that work?

• January 13, 2012 at 9:22 am

I started with an email example and IIRC I did see that one correctly. Somehow this reminds me about GTK time where one was supposed to run gtk-update-icon-cache or otherwise the icons wouldn’t be found from the cache.

• January 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Hi Tuomas,

Working on a little sharing app as well. Actually your code helped me a lot with the C++ stuff relating to Share UI, thanks for that :) Having same red box with icon, so if you managed to solve it would be cool to know how.

My ‘Sharetus’ app is hosted at github (https://github.com/jaywink/sharetus) if you’re interested. It adds itself to Share UI and basically enables web based sharing to many popular services. Limited list there at the moment since not nearly ready for release yet.

Br,
    Jason

• January 31, 2012 at 9:08 am

Nice to hear that my code helped someone :)

I haven’t really tried to fix the icon issue yet. I was hoping to get a bit more hints about what might have gone wrong but since I didn’t, I need to retry fixing it at some point.